FAQ's about training and testing

1. Q: Do I need a residential or commercial construction background?

A: No it is not a requirement by BPI, however, it is recommended that if you do not have good working knowledege of residential or commercial construction that you do the training only programs, which allows ample time to practice and study before testing.

2. Q: What is the advantage of training and testing all in the same week?

A: Yes,if you are comfortable with construction principals and terminology then we find most candidates do just fine on the written and field test. However, we cannot stress enough the importance of practice prior to field testing. All field test must be video taped and performed by a 3rd party who had nothing to do with your training. Therefore, you must perform the field test and cover over 100 different proceedures including CAZ and CO testing without any help or coaching.

3. Q: What is the advantage of doing the Building Analyst & Envelope Professional class together?

A: The two courses overlap many of the same principals for both classroom and field. By have both done at the same time you save money on training cost and time by getting them both done in the same week. Having two designations allows you to qualify you or your company you work for as a BPI certified contractor.

4. Q: If I am already a BPI professional, how would the commercial energy auditor certification help me?

A: The residential market is only half of the business out there. We have found the businesses are very eager to learn about reducing energy cost and have the money to perform the upgrades. Why limit yourself to just one opportunity.

5. Q: What is the difference between a RESNET/HERS Rater and a BPI professional certification and to participate in the Home Energy Score program do you have to hold one of these certifications? if so, which one would be the best to have?

A: The short answer is they are both good to have. However, each services different parts of the energy auditing sector. RESNET/HERS raters are geared more towards new construction. In order for a new home builder to have a home Energy Star rated a HERS Rater must perform an audit of the home from the plans. Then the rater will verify the home after construction to ensure the home qualifies. BPI is geared towards existing homes using similar standards but, the approach and test out procedures differ from RESNET. You can have either certification to use the Home Energy Score program. Keep in mind Home Energy Score is designed for existing homes and the standards adopted by the US department of energy are more like the BPI Standards.

6. Q: I have heard that some states are making it mandatory for a home or business to have an energy audit or energy inspection done for any remodeling, new construction or a real estate sale. Is this true?

A: Yes, There are such mandates in California, Texas and Florida. About another 10 states considering such legislation. Many states have other programs such as low income weatherization and energy audit incentives for home owners. Most all of these programs require a third party certified energy audit to qualify for the program rebates and funds. BPI is one of the most used and recognized certifications.

If you did not get your question answered just email us your question and we'll be glad to answer it!

Cancellation Policy

Cancellation, Testing and Refund Policy...

Training FAQs

Have a question about our training, we have compiled a list of all the frequently asked questions. ...

Energy Experts Blog

Check out the home adventures, experiences and expert advice from Alan the Inspector visit http://411energyexperts.blogspot.ca/